For this project we were to create an animated explainer video for a product or service. We were to create assets, shoot video, record a voice over and animate the whole piece using after effects. For me this project was a lot to take in at first because it required us wear a lot of hats so to speak and come out of our comfort zone. The key to this project was to be able to successfully combine video footage and vector animation in one final piece.
Like any other project I always tend to research what the project is and what makes a successful one, so in this case it was explainer videos. I found that the majority of this explainer videos were either full on animation or videos. I found it difficult to visualize the end goal of the thus project because we were required to incorporate a mix of the two.
After getting to know the project and understanding what it takes to make a successful explainer video it was time to come up with an idea of my own. At first I felt like using a service apple pay or drop box was the right direction to go in but once actually getting into the story board and asset making I realized that I had no clear vision of the end goal I wanted to achieve. Looking back I wished I had put more thought into the initial idea before I went in and began to design. After struggling with an idea that I was fully sold on, I became inspired by a classmate who was into running and telling me about this new gadget called the Fitbit. I did some research and instantly I was not only inspired but I had a clear visual of how I wanted this project to come out. Since I changed my idea and week ten was only two weeks away, I had to create a new story board and script to show the teacher how confident I was in this new approach.
My vision for this project required a variety of different styles. I felt that the best way to explain what the Fitbit does was to animate graphs and statistics over live video or a HUD (heads up display). Thankfully we had already done a project similar to this earlier in the quarter so it wasn’t too much of a challenge. Next up was I wanted to include so flat animation of how the app works and their online tools work. For the beginning and ending of the explainer I wanted to incorporate a 3d model of the Fitbit for a more realistic look.
The one issue with my completing my project was having to shoot video. Finding talent was relatively easy because my classmate who gave me the idea had a passion for running and I one of my close friends was a fitness guru. The hard part was successfully being able to shoot. My experience in the video world is very limited so shooting was something I feared doing but after a quick recap by a teacher I felt as though I could manage.
Putting It All Together:
Now that I re designed my assets and gathered everything I needed to complete this project it was time to put this all together. I have always be confident in my animation skills so nothing was too challenging for me to do. However my explainer video did require a lot of animation and it did not help that the project was supposed to be 80 percent done with in a week. Animating was mores or less a race against time because I change my idea so late in the game.
After countless nights working in the lab literally putting blood sweat and tears in my project, I finally had a strong completed piece. Looking back at this whole process I feel like I needed more direction from the get go. With the time that we had to do everything required I felt like I should have put more thought into my idea and where I wanted to go with the project. Realistically production for projects like these can take anywhere from a month to half a year and all I had was 10 weeks. All and all I feel like I rose to the occasion and came out on top with a successful explainer video.
Client Student Project
Software After Effects, Illustrator, Premiere Pro